DALLAS, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – This past week, I got an invitation from a man that Sports Illustrated called “one of the 50 most powerful people in professional sports” to join him for lunch at his office.
Dana White is the president and co-owner of The Ultimate Fighting Championship, and as it just so happened, I was there to witness the culmination of one of the more unique stories to ever take place within the promotion.
Because of a last minute injury to Rashad Evans, Saturday night’s UFC 170 co-main event was in jeopardy shortly before I arrived at UFC headquarters.
His opponent Daniel Cormier was willing to fight anyone as a short notice replacement, and while I was there, White signed an undefeated fighter straight out of a coffee shop where he had been working that very morning to take Evans’ place.
Listen to Dana recount the real life “Rocky” story for me first hand, along with his unfiltered thoughts on Alistair Overeem’s unwillingness to fight Junior Dos Santos, his high expectation’s for The UFC’s new “Fight Pass” network, and why the quality of the promotion’s matchmaking will always guarantee a value for their fans.
Be forewarned, Dana’s choice of language is not safe for air. There’s a reason he’s one of the most outspoken, controversial executives in all of professional sports. Listen to him tell it to me like he sees it, unfiltered and unapologetic.
UFC 170 airs live on pay-per-view Saturday night at 9:00 pm Dallas time from The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. I’ll be live tweeting cage side from the fight.
Follow Richard on Twitter @RichardHunter
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Sanders, Trump Win New Hampshire Primaries
- Dance Studio Director Arrested For Indecency With A Child
- Suspected Peeping Tom Turns Himself In
- Changes Coming To West 7th Street Bridge In Fort Worth?
- L.A. Rams Owner Purchases W.T. Waggoner Ranch
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures