Suspect Caught In Arlington Hit-&-Run Case
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) - There has been a big break in the case of a hit-and-run car crash that landed a 73-year-old North Texas man in the hospital. Police in Arlington said that they have the suspect in custody after he was caught on a flight that was going out of the country.
Terry Pinkston was going for a walk outside last Saturday when he was hit by a car from behind and left for dead.
The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Omar Mohammed. According to the Arlington Police Department, the man was found by customs agents at around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night at DFW International Airport, on board a plane bound for Jordan. Records show that investigators received a tip that Mohammed’s car had a broken windshield repaired on Saturday, just hours after Pinkston was struck.
Authorities found Mohammed’s vehicle, a blue Honda Civic, at the home of his parents. Other parts of the vehicle were also damaged, including the front bumper and the hood, presumably from that car crash. In addition, officials obtained security camera footage that showed Mohammed leaving his apartment complex about one minute before the crash took place.
Mohammed’s apartment complex is located about one block away from where the crash occurred. Police are now trying to determine why this incident happened.
Pinkston left the hospital on Wednesday. He is still in a lot of pain, with broken ribs and vertabrae among his many injuries. “So many things wrong and broken and cracked,” Pinkston said. “There’s really no way to get comfortable.”
Mohammed is now sitting behind bars, charged with a crash involving injury and failure to stop and render aid. Since he already tried to leave the country, he is considered a flight risk, and is being held without bond.
The victim’s son added that Mohammed had time to turn himself in to police, but he did not. “You had the opportunity,” Dee Pinkston said. “You missed that window, and now you suffer the consequences.”
- What’s Brewing In Your Coffee Maker?
- Family, Friends Gather For Vigil Of Mother Killed At A Fort Worth Gas Station
- DPS Trooper In Trouble Over Snoop Dogg Photo
- UTA, Arlington PD Arrest Suspect For Fondling
- Cowboys Mock Draft Blog 1.0 From CBS 11’s Bill Jones
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures