FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Good news is coming for North Texas drivers – and it’s ahead of schedule. The North Tarrant Express project will be done by the end of this year, according to developers, which is six months earlier than anticipated. The five-year, $2.5 billion project includes portions along IH 280 and SH 121/183 between IH 35W in Fort Worth and Industrial Boulevard in Euless. The project spans 13.3 miles of roadway.
“The goal line is within sight on this project,” said Robert Hinkle, director of corporate affairs for NTE Mobility Partners. Drivers will have the option of using newly rebuilt general highway lanes and frontage roads for free or they can pay to travel on four TEXpress lanes. TEXpress lanes will charge drivers varying toll rates to encourage speeds of at least 50 miles per hour. The more congested the roads, the higher the tolls will be.
“The TEXpress lanes concept is new to Texas and this region, so it’s important that drivers understand how they operate,” Hinkle said. If you’re in Fort Worth and want to get to DFW Airport or Dallas in the most direct and time-efficient ways, the TEXpress Lanes are a great option.”
TEXpress lanes are already open on a portion of LBJ, and more will be added soon. Eventually TEXpress lanes will be a staple along the DFW Connector, I-35E, I-35W, and Hwy 183. For the NTE project, TEXpress lanes will be added to Interstate 35W from downtown Fort Worth to the US 287 interchange.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- White Settlement Firefighter In Critical Condition Following Motorcycle Crash
- TCU Beaten By Coastal Carolina 7-5
- Team USA Falls To Columbia 1-0, Finishes 4th In Copa America
- One Dead In Fort Worth Convenience Store Robbery
- Corruption Cases Casts Harsh Light On NYPD Handgun Permits
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures