Ronda Rousey Defends Title At UFC 170
LAS VEGAS, Nevada (105.3 THE FAN) – UFC 170 takes place this Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Event center in Las Vegas. The card is headlined by a Women’s bantamweight championship fight between two undefeated fighters in Champion Ronda Rousey and challenger Sarah Mcmann.
There may not be a fighter in the UFC that is as popular as Rousey. She has taken over MMA in a way that I have only seen when Brock Lesnar was claiming to be the toughtest S.O.B. on the planet (that didn’t last long).
This Saturday is a true test of Rousey’s popularity. When Rashad Evans was pulled from the card due to injury last week that left Rousey as the only proven PPV star on the card.
The UFC was genius in booking this fight at this time. Having two former American olymipans going head to head while the winter Olympics are going on was no coincidence….at least that is the credit that I want to give Dana White and company. Never before have we seen two Olympians compete inside the octagon and who knows if it will ever happen again.
Rousey is well on her way to fluidly transitioning from UFC champion to movie superstar if she can defeat Mcmann on Saturday night. She is in sequels for both the Expendables and Fast and Furious movie franchises and more and more movie oppurtunities will come as long as she has continued success inside the octagon. Unlike Gina Carano before her, I think Rousey needs to maintain dominance inside MMA in order to continue to see her popularity rise.
I will be in Vegas for the fights this weekend and I look forward to posting my experience to cbsdfw.com
Follow me on twitter @mikedingess
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nurse Who Survived Ebola Sues Dallas Hospital System
- Mark Cuban Reportedly Cast As President In ‘Sharknado 3′
- Dallas Oil Company: Sahara Offshore Test Well Not Commercial
- Plano Could Name Lone Superintendent Finalist Soon
- Suspect Leads FW Police On Chase In Stolen Car
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures