DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Three sports stars are teaming up with a North Texas company and more than a thousand volunteers to attempt to break a world record on Saturday at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas. “We decided to break a Guinness world record for the largest number of people making sandwiches at the same time,” explained Andre Angel, founder and CEO of TangoTab.
Near stacks of sandwiches, vigilant volunteers are already practicing for what could be a record-breaking day. The big event will help celebrate the second anniversary of TangoTab — an app that offers deals to diners. When deals are redeemed, the app donates a meal to a local food pantry.
In order to break the record, more than 1,000 volunteers are needed to make sandwiches at the same time. Angel said, “If we can fight hunger while doing something fun — making sandwiches, having a party on a Saturday morning — why not?”
And some big sports names have already signed on to help out. Teaming up for the event are former Dallas Stars player Mike Modano, former Dallas Cowboys player Terrell Owens and former NFL and TCU star LaDainian Tomlinson.
“I think I make the best sandwiches,” Tomlinson said, showing off his skills. “Some people like to spread on one side. I don’t like that too much. You have to make sure you put the spread on both sides. That way, you can taste the strong taste of the spread.”
Watch L.T. Make A Sandwich:
After the event is over, the thousands of (hopefully world-record shattering) sandwiches will be donated to area food charities, so that they can feed the hungry. “At the end of the day, we do want to make people aware of what we’re trying to do in this community,” said Tomlinson. “And I really want to emphasize THIS community.”
Anyone can volunteer for the event, which will be held between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. Parking is free for volunteers.
- Texas School Apologizes After 8th Graders Asked To List Positives Of Slavery
- Verne Troyer, Best Known As Mini-Me In ‘Austin Powers,’ Dies At 49
- Father Killed In Random Attack At Restaurant While Holding Daughter
- George H.W. Bush Wears Socks With Books To Honor Wife’s Commitment To Literacy
- Barbara Bush: ‘First Lady Of The Greatest Generation’
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures