DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Two birds, one stone. Nearly 1,900 volunteers partnered with a Dallas-based company Saturday morning to both break a Guinness World Record and feed the homeless.
It was the idea of TangoTab, a business that provides deals to diners eating out, as well as meals to those in need.
From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, along with thousands of volunteers, TangoTab attempted to break the Guinness World record for the most amount of people simultaneously making sandwiches.
CBS 11 is told the attempt was successful, but has yet to be recognized by a Guinness official.
LaDainian Tomlinson, Terrell Owens and Mike Modano were some of the celebrities who participated in the feat.
Now, with over 100,000 sandwiches made, Dallas non-profit groups who help feed the hungry will soon get a knock on the door from TangoTab.
TangoTab the reason behind the event is to celebrate its second anniversary in business, which was founded by a former software executive as a way to address the challenge of hunger in communities.
TangoTab is an app that features “local free restaurant deals, which allow people to save money and increase traffic for restaurant,’ according to a press release.
When the app user redeems a deal, TangoTab donates a meal to a local food pantry.
“Simply put: When you eat, they eat,” the release states.
Before the event started, TangoTab tweeted out this picture:
At this time, the Guinness world record is upheld by the British Sandwich Association, with 607 people simultaneously making sandwiches. It was broken on May 14, 2013, in Manchester, UK.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Lucky Whitehead Cleared By Police But Still Out Of A Job
- Texas Senate OKs ‘Bathroom Bill’
- Study: 99 Percent Of Deceased NFL Players Had Brain Damage
- At Least 3 People Drown Trying To Cross Rio Grande; 7 rescued
- Surveillance Video Shows Dallas Carjacker Who Dragged Man To His Death
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures