DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dozens tried to console a Dallas mother as she fell to her knees in tears Sunday night at a vigil outside an East Oak Cliff apartment where her 2-year-old daughter died in a fire earlier that day.
Eve Jammer was found dead by firefighters after a fire ripped through a second story apartment at the Village Oaks Apartments at 3550 East Overton Road in Sunday morning.
Six people were inside the apartment at the time of the fire. Three were able to escape with minor injuries by jumping out a bedroom window.
Two more survived – a toddler and an elderly female.
Family members told CBS 11 the 69-year-old woman is being treated at Parkland Hospital for severe burns suffered in the fire, while the 18-month-old is being treated for smoke inhalation.
Jimmy Thompson, one of the five people who made it out of the burning apartment, is Jammer’s uncle.
Thompson hurt his leg when he jumped out the window but said he tried to go back inside when he found out his niece was missing.
“If I had a chance to save her, she would be here – no doubt,” he said.
Many neighbors also came rushing to help.
Witnesses said one neighbor even pulled his truck up to a window and then jumped on another man’s shoulders in order to save the 18-month-old.
Jammer’s mother, Kenedra Hart, was not at the apartment during the fire.
At the vigil Sunday night she said, ““I was coming. I was on my way. I was coming to get you, baby.”
Fire investigators have not determined the cause of the fire.
Family members told CBS 11 the apartment had smoke detectors and that they were tested, however; they said they did not hear the alarms go off.
Eight apartment units were damaged in the fire. The American Red Cross is assisting any residents who have been displaced.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Baylor WR Suspended 3 Games After Being Caught Abusing Dog On Video
- 10 Questions With Pro Wrestling’s Next Big Star, Adam Cole
- Gas Leak Closes Busy Intersection In Addison
- 2016 College Football Opening Weekend Games To Watch
- Cowboys Cut Roster To 75, Move Jaylon Smith To NFI
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures