DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Six people were inside of a second-story apartment building in Dallas when a fierce fire began. Now, a family is mourning the loss of a child who did not make it out alive.
A prayer vigil was held Sunday night at the Village Oaks Apartments, located along East Overton Road. The mother of 2-year-old Eve Jammer fell to her knees thinking about her daughter who lost her life. The child was the only one who did not get out of the burning apartment building.
“I was coming,” said mother Kenedra Hart. “I was on my way to get you. I was coming to get you.”
“If I had a chance to save here, she would still be here, no doubt,” said victim Jimmy Thompson, the little girl’s uncle. Thompson hurt his leg while escaping from the fire. “This injury wouldn’t mean nothing. I’m taking it harder because I’m hurting, because she passed away at such a young age.”
Most of the survivors had to jump out of a second-story window.
“I heard a loud noise — boom — and then I heard some kids screaming,” said witness Tyrone Cuington. “Then I came outside and seen this apartment here on fire.”
Two other people were injured during the blaze and are being treated at Parkland Hospital in Dallas — 69-year-old Joanne Thompson recevied burns and 18-month-old Tiffany Jammer suffered smoke inhalation. Both of the survivors are expected to be okay, according to family members.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. A total of eight apartment units were damaged in the blaze. The American Red Cross is helping out those residents who were displaced.
- Consumer Justice Cooler Challenge: Who Beat The Heat?
- Warning: Chicago Felony Lane Gang Members Possibly In Town
- Officer To Skydive In Uniform At Addison Kaboom Town
- North Texas Could See Record For Near-Drownings
- Fireworks Stand First Copeville Business To Reopen After December’s Tornado
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures