FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – The sounds of construction echo along Heritage Trace Parkway in north Fort Worth. Shopping centers are sprouting up and quickly filling with businesses, and more are on the way.
Along with all the growth and new businesses comes congestion.
“It’s a nightmare to get in and out,” driver Chrissy Baily said frustrated. “You are just asking for trouble. There is way too much traffic. There is no other way, unless you go to the freeway, to get out of the shopping center.”
At one of the entrances some drivers try to make a left-hand turn. Others try to get into the shopping center and then there are those who just give up and make a right turn, only to go a block and make a U-turn.
“The way the whole thing wired around here is really bad,” said driver Melissa Marsh. “It’s very hard to get in and out. Every time you come out you have to gauge from over there, because I come out of Old Denton Road, which way do I go sometimes.”
The city of Fort Worth has heard the complaints and is turning the concerns over to the developer — Hillwood Properties.
City officials say Hillwood will fix the problems and pay for the upgrades.
The developer is planning on adding a light and pedestrian crosswalk at one shopping center entrances.
Hillwood is also in the process of widening a nearby road to ease congestion.
“I think it will help a lot,” Bailey said. “I think it will definitely get rid of some of the accidents. You can’t drive through here on the weekend without seeing police either directing traffic or some accident that’s happened.”
According to officials with the Fort Worth Police Department, in the last two years officers have responded to more than 50 accidents in the area.
Many of drivers say the crashes are a result of all the confusion and congestion.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nene’s 28 Lead Rockets Past Thunder For 3-1 Series Lead
- Darvish, Rangers Finish 4-Game Sweep, Beat Royals 5-2
- Police Pick Up Adorable Intruders: A Pair Of Pygmy Goats
- US Gas Prices Rise 3 Cents Over 2 Weeks, To $2.46 A Gallon
- Giraffe’s Baby Bump Boosts Tiny Zoo’s Upkeep, Conservation
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures