DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A car crash shut down all of the westbound lanes of LBJ Freeway at Central Expressway early Monday morning. The incident happened at about 3:00 a.m. and kept the highway closed into the beginning of rush hour traffic.
A dark blue Ford pickup truck was heading westbound along the LBJ Freeway service road and may have been trying to enter onto the highway. According to witnesses, the vehicle was possibly traveling as fast as 100 mph. But the driver lost control of the truck, and the vehicle flipped and rolled down a slope. It came to a rest on the freeway.
Two people were inside of the pickup truck when the crash took place. They were both tossed from the vehicle. A 25-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. A woman was transported to Baylor Medical Center at Dallas, but died at the hospital.
No other vehicles were involved in this crash, and nobody else was hurt. Investigators are now trying to determine more details about the incident, including the exact cause.
Officials shut down the entire westbound side of LBJ Freeway in order to clean up the mess and conduct an investigation. Traffic was forced to exit at Greenville Avenue, creating a lengthy backup along a major North Texas artery at the beginning of Monday morning’s rush hour. The highway has since been opened again.
Drivers were upset that it took crews five hours to clean up after a single-vehicle crash. “I want them to be safe, so if there’s something damaging in the area, hopefully they clean it up,” said driver Keaton Kelley. “But if they’re just being thorough and wasting everyone’s time, then it’s frustrating.”
“I was just trying to get there, where I was going, and it just wasn’t fun just sitting there,” added Taylor King. “Usually, it goes fast.”
- Texas Posts Final Draft Of Special Education Plan
- Richardson ISD Unveils Program To Improve Student Achievement
- Search Ongoing For Missing Tri-Chem Worker After Explosion
- Cursive Writing Connects Seniors With Elementary School Students
- How Facebook ‘Likes’ Could Profile Voters For Manipulation
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures