Attempted Bombing Suspect Withdraws Guilty Plea
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) - The man accused of trying to blow up a natural gas line in Plano was back in court today.
Anson Chi, a former computer engineer, argued for the right to withdraw the guilty plea he entered last year, and surprisingly the judge allowed him to do it.
This hearing began with Chi, 35, firing his lawyers and then asking the judge if he could represent himself. Chi argued that his lawyers had acted unethically and gave him bad legal advice before he entered the guilty plea, where he admitted to trying to blow up at natural gas line on West Parker Road in Plano two years ago.
The defendant told the judge he wanted to withdraw the 20-year plea deal, risking a punishment of life in prison if he’s convicted. He also tried to convince the judge he could represent himself for these terrorism related charges, by pointing to his success representing himself in Plano traffic court. Both the judge and Chi’s former lawyers warned him he was making a mistake. But the judge granted the request and scheduled a pre-trial hearing for March.
Now that Chi is acting as his own attorney, he’s giving interesting insight into his case, claiming he confessed only because he was tortured by Plano police officers following his arrest. Chi has offered no proof to back up this claim.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Church Pastor Behind Bars, Accused Of Abusing Boy
- Dallas Police Association Offers 10-Point Reform Plan For DPD
- CBS Sports Steve Tasker Weighs In On Falcons Vs Buccaneers on Thursday Night Football
- Texas Attorney: Patti LaBelle Had Bodyguard Beat Cadet
- Hurricane Leaves North Texans Stranded In Mexico
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures