A Look Inside New State-Of-The-Art Parkland Hospital
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The new Parkland Hospital rises 17 stories above the center of Dallas’ Medical District. Dallas county voters overwhelmingly approved the new county hospital, which came with a $1.2 billion price tag. But the price is worth it, according to supporters of the new hospital.
“We want to become the hospital of choice — not the hospital of last resort, which is sort of the reputation that Parkland has,” said Senior Vice President Lou Saksen, who was tasked with building the new Parkland. The hospital will rival any facility in the nation, according to Saksen. He acknowledges the hospital’s past quality failures and insists that the new building is a big part of the solution.
The emergency room is more than quadruple the size of the old one. Ten trauma examining rooms are private and fully equipped.
“They have all of the capabilities of any of the operating rooms,” said Saksen. “They have radiology, the emergency department has it’s own CT scanner.”
The most critically injured patients will land by CareFlite on the helipad and from here, it’s 32 seconds to the treatment room. Trauma care will commence en route on a custom designed elevator called “The Megavator.”
All 865 patient rooms are spacious, private and equipped with private baths and queen-sized sleeper sofas for family. The rooms are identical to help reduce errors and nurse viewing stations are situated between every two rooms.
“The incredible increase in patient care, patient safety that this building is going to make possible is just astounding,” said Saksen.
“All the phones in the hospital have cameras and screens so if I call you up in another dept I can see you and you can see me while we are talking to each other. It is incredible,” said Saksen.
Patients will move into the new facility in May of 2015.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- NFL Will View Photos From Hardy’s Domestic Violence Trial
- Two Tons Of Marijuana Valued At $24 Million Seized In Texas
- Boxing Insider Talk: Virgil Hunter, Boxing Trainer And Analyst
- NCAA Reports Increased Homers Midway Through Season
- Oklahoma Guard Booker To Transfer
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures