DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Jack Evans and George Harris will be married this weekend in a ceremony officiated by a retired minister from the United Methodist Church.
Reverend William McElvaney , 85, will officiate the service. He is a retired pastor from Northaven United Methodist Church on Preston Road. Because United Methodist Church law prevents its churches from hosting same-sex marriages, the service will be held at Midway Hills Christian Church.
Harris and Evans are also in their eighties, and have been together for 53 years. They are members of the Northaven congregation.
Reverend McElvaney says he knows he risks his standing as UMC clergy by performing the marriage for a same-sex couple, but he is a staunch supporter of equal rights for the LGBT community.
“I think it takes courage to make change. That’s always been true,” said Rev. McElvaney.
Northaven UMC is one of four “reconciling” congregations in the North Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church, meaning this particular church is inclusive of people of all sexual orientations.
While Harris and Evans’ union won’t be recognized by Texas law this weekend, Reverend McElvaney believes some day, it will be.
“You cannot discriminate against people and claim that you love them, so when we marginalize people it’s contrary to the Gospel of love,” said Rev. McElvaney.
Thursday, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott filed a notice of appeal on a federal judge’s ruling from yesterday. Judge Orlando Garcia declared the Texas ban on gay marriage to be unconstitutional.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Police Seek Driver Who Hit & Killed Red Oak Woman
- Historic Texas Site Among 20 Vying For Preservation Funds
- Ford Recalls 271,000 Pickups To Fix Brake Fluid Leak
- New Captain America Comic Suggests He’s With Hydra
- Eric Trump Balancing Company & Father’s Campaign
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures