DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – CBS 11 News first introduced you to a North Texas Holocaust survivor last week. It was then that Max Glauben’s car had been robbed of historic items he managed to save from his survival of the Nazi death camps.
While the historical and sentimental items have yet to be found, thieves however did find Mr. Glauben again.
“I lost all of my possessions that I had during the Holocaust,” the 86-year-old man recalled during our first interview.
Glauben detailed the Holocaust medals and documents that were snatched from his car. They were all very precious items that he used to share his story of being a concentration camp survivor.
Having not yet recovered from the first theft, Glauben woke to find his vehicle sitting on blocks.
He said, “Some very distinctive people that were really good mechanics took the wheels and tires of my wife’s car.”
The wheels and tires can be replaced. But Glauben’s American faith in his fellow man might be a different story now. Frustrated, he explained, “It’s a tragedy that you come to a free country and there’s an element of people that are trying and taking away someone’s possessions, and in the process destroying their lives and their way of life.”
Glauben was 15-years-old when he was freed from a Nazi death camp — he never saw his parents or brother again.
There was a time in his life when speaking out could cost Glauben his life, but not here… not in this country. That’s the one thing the thieves will never get from him.
“A lot of times we give credit to the thieves by showing we are upset. And yes, I’m showing I’m upset, but this is not going to stop me from speaking.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Weather Stops Balloon Launches Then Suspends Festival In Plano
- Convicted Rapist Uses Fundraiser To Help Rape Victims
- North Texas Sneaks By Rice 42-35 In 2OT
- No. 6 Houston Routs Texas State 64-3
- Police: Washington Mall Shooting Suspect In Custody
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures