LUBBOCK (AP) – Former Texas Tech quarterback Michael Brewer says he will transfer to Virginia Tech, where he can compete to replace Logan Thomas.
“Excited and humbled to announce that I will be attending Virginia Tech,” Brewer posted on his Twitter account Sunday. He is set to graduate from Texas Tech in May, so he’ll be eligible to play for the Hokies next season.
Virginia Tech could not yet confirm Brewer’s decision, but he told The Roanoke (Va.) Times he chose Virginia Tech over Kentucky after visiting Blacksburg, Va., and meeting with Hokies coach Frank Beamer and offensive coordinator Scott Loeffler. The Austin, Texas, native had been restricted from transferring to another Big 12 school by Texas Tech.
Virginia Tech is trying to replace Thomas, a three-year starter, and has only one quarterback on its roster with game experience. Brewer will be in the mix with fifth-year senior Mark Leal, sophomore Brenden Motley and three freshmen.
“Nothing is guaranteed. I’ve got to come in and earn it,” Brewer told The Roanoke Times. “But both the coaches and I thought it was a good situation and a great opportunity.”
Brewer was expected to compete for the starting job last year in Lubbock, but a back injury cost him preseason workouts and much of the season. As a sophomore, he played in four games and completed 7 for 10 passes for 65 yards. He has two years of eligibility left.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Top 5 Surprising Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away
- Controversial Reading Assignment Has Some High School Parents Fuming
- Dallas Mayor Pleased With Grow South Initiative’s Progress
- Sanders Wins Democratic Presidential Primary In Indiana
- Cruz Drops Out Of Race For President
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures