Officials Concerned About Possible Black Ice On I-45
CORSICANA (CBSDFW.COM) - Icy roads created traffic nightmares for drivers across North Texas on Monday morning, but one of the worst areas was along Interstate-45 in Navarro County. Hundreds of cars and trucks were stuck in the southbound lanes of the highway between Coriscana and Hutchins.
“I live about 3 miles up the road, and I couldn’t see the end of it,” one motorist told CBS 11 News.
The combination of icy roads and a couple of jack knifed big rigs caused the backup, according to Navarro County officials. By the time the crash was cleared, other motorists were stuck in a traffic jam that stretched for miles.
“When we started home we had heard all this was happening, so we decided to just spend the night, because we didn’t know whether to go home I-35 or I-45… I think we made a mistake. We didn’t know it was going to be like this,” said Mary Jane Miller.
Monday’s sunshine, heavy traffic and slightly warmer weather helped melt some ice off the roads, but local officials said they’re worried road conditions may worsen Tuesday.
“Tonight it’s going to refreeze because of the temperatures and then you’re gonna have black ice,” said Navarro County Sheriff Elmer Tanner.
Sheriff Tanner is concerned about the severity of a black ice situation, since many drivers don’t slow down and “contend” for it.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 2 Armstrong Associates Settle Lawsuit With Landis
- Cowboys Injury Report: DeMarco Murray Questionable With Broken Hand
- Patients Return To Dallas Hospital Where Ebola Hit
- Musicians + Sports: Darius Rucker Lives for Football: See His Pregame Soundtrack
- Kaley O’Kelley Joins Doug Dunbar As News Co-Anchor
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures