Traffic Backed Up For 40 Miles South Of Dallas
Get Breaking News First
CORSICANA (CBSDFW.COM) - Icy roads created traffic nightmares for drivers across North Texas on Monday morning, but one of the worst areas was along Interstate-45 in Navarro County. Hundreds of cars and trucks were stuck in the northbound lanes of the highway between Coriscana and Hutchins.
The backup stretched at least 40 miles, if not more.
Jeri Robertson was traveling between Houston and Missouri. She was stuck in the same spot for more than four hours — beginning at 2:40 a.m. — after already enduring a two-hour long backup earlier along the interstate. “I’ve just been trying to keep myself as busy as I can,” she said, “basically just listening to the radio.”
Robertson said that she had plenty of supplies because of what was packed in her trunk for the road trip. “I’ve got clothes and blankets in my trunk,” she said. But gas was a concern. “I’ve been turning my car off and on trying to preserve it.”
Chopper 11 was over the highway on Monday morning and saw sanding trucks backing up through stalled vehicles, trying to help with the road conditions. Emergency workers in yellow vests were also walking from one vehicle to the next to check on drivers.
The situation started to improve at about 11:00 a.m. on Monday.
The temperatures in North Texas are expected to remain below freezing until Tuesday morning, meaning that the icy roads will likely stick around throughout Monday. Drivers who plan to use northbound Interstate-45 are advised to find an alternate route.
- Former DPD Officer Guilty In Beating Of Suspect Jailed
- Rocket Explodes During Test Flight; No Injuries
- Man Indicted For Aiming Laser Pointer At Aircraft
- Officer’s Association Calling For FWPD Chief’s Resignation
- Beanbag Victim’s Family Still Coping With Loss
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures