NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – On this primary Election Day some voter struggles began before individuals even arrived to cast their ballots. A number of people in Dallas and Denton County found themselves searching for their designated polling place, after struggling with election websites.
One polling location in Dallas opened more than an hour late. While the delay did affect some voters, the big challenge appears to have been with folks trying to verify their voting location.
Tuesday was not a record-breaking election. Turnout was fairly standard, with less than 10-percent of registered voters expected at the polls.
Election offices in both Denton and Dallas confirmed there was some voter confusion over accessing precinct location information.
The Dallas County Elections website actually crashed Tuesday morning, because of the volume of traffic.
Election Administrator Toni Pippins-Poole said, “We’ve been talking with our vendor, they’ve assured us that they’ve given us more server power in order to be able to absorb those types of hits from the voters.”
Denton County officials told CBS 11 News their site never crashed and has been functioning properly. Officials there believe the problem was with voters having difficulty navigating the site.
Across Dallas County there was only one report of a polling location opening late… and it had nothing to do with yesterday’s weather. The polling location at North Dallas High School, on Haskell Avenue, opened one hour and 15 minutes late. School staff couldn’t unlock the door.
The problem arose when the person who had the responsibility of opening the doors had car trouble. People at the school had to cut a padlock off the door to let voters in. About a dozen people waited outside, in the cold, until the location was opened and they could cast their ballots.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- President Trump’s Physician Says He’s In Excellent Health
- Fort Worth Police Looking For Fragrance Thieves
- Campaign Launches To Give Homeless People Warm Socks
- Latest NBA Power Rankings
- Oprah Coming To North Texas To Speak At Minnie’s Food Pantry Gala
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures