SAN ANTONIO (CBS 11 NEWS) – The moment Republican Greg Abbott announced he was running for Governor, political analysts started saying it’s his race to lose.
Abbott voted in Austin Tuesday afternoon hours before he’s expected to celebrate his party’s nomination later in the evening in San Antonio.
He says he’s taken nothing for granted, despite the fact he’s been deemed the heir apparent to Rick Perry, who’s leaving the Governor’s office after 14 years.
Abbott says, “I think the governorship of the state of Texas is something that’s worth fighting for, where we must go out and earn the people’s vote everyday.”
During his campaign stops, Abbott didn’t even mention his three Republican challengers. SMU political science professor Cal Jillson says he doesn’t have to.
“We don’t have an exciting election at the top of the ballot. The Governor’s race, we know that Abbott’s going to win,” said Jillson.
While the primary will be easy, the general election fight against presumed Democratic winner Wendy Davis will be intense.
Abbott came under fire after campaigning in Denton with rocker Ted Nugent, who called President Obama a “sub-human mongrel” and feminists “fat pigs.” Nugent apologized for his remarks about the President.
Abbott is attacking the President’s policies, and tying Davis to him. “The last thing Texans want is anything involving Barack Obama to come in and hijack the future of the state of Texas.”
He says he and Republicans will be reaching out to Hispanic voters.
On the campaign trail, he introduces his wife Cecilia as potentially the first Latina to become First Lady of Texas.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Community Reacts To Discovery Of Body Near Missing 3-Year-Old’s Home
- 1 Person Shot To Death Near Fair Park While Sitting In Vehicle
- Justin Timberlake To Headline Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Elliott’s 3 TDs, 219 Yards Lead Cowboys Past 49ers 40-10
- Body Of Small Boy Washes Ashore On Galveston Beach
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures