TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — Raul Ibanez homered off Yu Darvish and the Los Angeles Angels topped the Texas Rangers 7-4 Tuesday.
Ibanez hit a leadoff homer in the second and Chris Iannetta had a long double later in the inning.
Darvish gave up two runs on three hits and a walk in three innings.
Darvish didn’t strike out anyone. He led the AL in strikeouts last season.
“He settled down and made his pitches,” Texas manager Ron Washington said. “We got three innings out of him.”
Angels starter Tyler Skaggs, a solid candidate for the back end of the Angels’ starting rotation, allowed three hits and two runs with two walks in 2 1-3 innings of his spring debut.
Sometimes, managers try to hold back pitchers in spring training, rather than have them face division rivals.
“At this stage, teams are just getting their work in,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Ibanez and Mike Trout each got two hits for the Angels.
The Rangers-Angels game was the only one in spring training Tuesday where Major League Baseball’s expanded replay system was being tested.
There was one call that got reviewed, and the umpire’s ruling was confirmed. J.B. Shuck of the Angels was safe after stealing second with a headfirst slide in the seventh.
The review took 90 seconds.
“It won’t always be that easy,” Texas manager Ron Washington said.
Rangers: Darvish, 13-9 with a 2.83 ERA with Texas in 2013 was happy with his second start of the Cactus League season.
“I think it was good overall because I was able to try a few things,” Darvish said through a translator.
Darvish said he and catcher Robinson Chirinos both wanted a fastball on the pitch that Ibanez hit for the home run.
“But I threw a four-seam fastball just to see if I could get a popup. But it was a huge popup,” Darvish said.
Trout singled and lined out against the Texas ace. Darvish said he threw only fastballs to the Angels star.
“I didn’t want to show him anything else. I think the approach toward Trout is going to be a little bit different this year,” he said.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 3 DISD Schools Named For Confederate Generals To Be Renamed
- Plumbing Company Owner On Employee Killed On Job: ‘He Was Like A Son To Me’
- Star Wars Fans Gather To Watch Debut Of Latest Installment
- Texas AG Aide Out After Social Media Post Disparaging ‘Pathetic’ Women
- Local Restaurant Served Firefighter Prior To Fatal Crash
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures