CROWLEY (CBSDFW.COM) – A little more than a year ago, a North Texas family sidestepped a local doctor’s prognosis and recommendation to amputate their child’s leg.
They searched for an alternative, and it has paid off.
Today, their little girl London Jade Spraberry, of Crowley, is walking for the first time. Her parents, Demond and Shae, are amazed with her recovery and results.
CBS 11 first introduced viewers to London Jade in November 2012. She was born with tibial hemimelia, with her foot turned backwards and her leg missing bone.
The TV news magazine “Inside Edition” documented the Spraberrys’ journey toward healing London’s leg. They traveled to Florida, where an orthopedic surgeon performed a specialized procedure, instead of going through with the amputation recommended by specialists in North Texas.
Fifteen-months later, little London, with a brace often used for support, is walking on her own two feet.
“The first time she took her first step, when people tell you amputation was the option to go with, it’s overcoming and amazing,” said London’s mother, Shae.
“To see her stand up on her own legs is unbelievable,” said London’s dad, Demond.
Right now, all London needs are simple medical follow-ups. She receives therapy in North Texas. Her family heads back to Florida in a couple weeks for a medical checkup. By the age of 7, London will need another surgery.
The leg deformity put London in a medical category of one in a million. Her family says she still is in that category.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Darvish, Rangers Top Pirates 5-2
- Shooting At Dallas Club Leaves One Dead
- Ohio Zoo Kills Gorilla To Protect Child In Enclosure
- Spieth Third-Round Leader At Colonial
- Boy Swept Away In Brazos River, Water Rescue Underway
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures