FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A police officer shot and injured a man who was suspected of breaking into an apartment unit in west Fort Worth early Thursday morning. The incident happened at around 2:30 a.m. as authorities were responding to a reported break-in at The Windriver Apartments, located in the 2800 block of West Wind Circle, near Interstate-30 and Las Vegas Trail.
The responding officers have been identified as C. Vistine and M.J. Rowell of the Fort Worth Police Department
When the officers arrived at the scene, they found the suspect holding a tire iron on the back patio portion of an apartment unit. That man was later identified as 18-year-old Jaden Williams. He refused to follow orders and then charged at Vistine “in an aggressive and threatening manner,” according to a police statement.
Fearing for the officer’s safety, Rowell opened fire on the suspect.
“They contacted the person trying to get into the residence. He presented a threat to the officers,” said Capt. Shawn Stone of the Fort Worth Police Department. “One of the officers fired, struck the person trying to get into the house.”
Williams was hit in the shoulder, but continued to advance toward Vistine, even tossing the tire iron and striking Vistine in the head. The two officers were then able to take Williams into custody without any further injuries to the suspect or the officers. Williams was taken to JPS Hospital in Fort Worth and is expected to survive. Vistine was treated at the scene.
Crime scene investigators were at the apartment complex gathering evidence through a portion of Thursday morning.
Williams was arrested for aggravated assault against a public servant, marijuana possession, failure to ID and an oustanding warrant for aggravated robbery. Records show that Williams lives in the apartment complex.
- Matthew McConaughey Fears ‘March For Our Lives’ Will Get “Hijacked”
- Dangerous Dog Task Force Meeting Canceled Despite Recent Dallas Attack
- Police and Semi Trucks Prevent Suicide Attempt on Detroit Freeway
- Iconic Dallas Hot Dog, Custard Shop ‘Wild About Harry’s’ Shutting Down
- FWPD Release Video Of “Person Of Interest” In Teen Bus Stop Attack
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures