STEPHENVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – The man accused of killing Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was back in court on Friday morning. The judge is expected to decide whether or not to allow a key piece of evidence in Eddie Ray Routh’s murder trial, which is set to start with jury selection on May 5.
The jury pool is going to be very large, and most of the pre-trial motions involve what the jury will be able to hear and consider during the trial. Defense lawyers do not want the jury to hear interviews that Routh had with police after his arrest. That issue is what a judge is considering on Friday.
Routh has been charged with capital murder, accused of shooting Kyle and Kyle’s friend, Chad Littlefield, at a gun range in Glen Rose in February 2013. The two victims were trying to help Routh. Defense attorneys have stated that the defendant is an Iraq War veteran suffering from the effects of post traumatic stress disorder.
Routh was interrogated on the day of the murders. He said that he told his sister, “I had to kill a man today. It wasn’t a want to, it was a need, to get out of that situation, or I was going to be the one out there to get my head shot.”
Texas Ranger: “How many did you have to kill?”
Routh: “Two. I was right up close to them. I didn’t mean to be so close. I fled. I didn’t know what to do. My adrenaline was pumped so high, I didn’t know what was right or what was wrong.”
Texas Ranger: “You know what you did today is wrong? You know that, don’t you?”
Routh: “Yes, sir.”
Texas Ranger: “You shot Chad and Chris, right?”
In his previous court appearances, there was a caravan of law enforcement officials transporting Routh to the courthouse. That was no different on Friday.
- Manizel: “I’ve Been The Same Person, Doing The Same Things Since It All Started”
- North Dallas Apartment Complex Destroyed By Fire
- Police Arrest Man Who Allegedly Showed His Penis At The Laundromat
- Schools Cancel Some Activities Due To Severe Weather
- Alleged Mastermind Behind Uptown Dentist Murder Remains In Mexico
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures