CROSBY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — A South Texas family is moving to Colorado on Friday to get their epileptic daughter access to medical marijuana in hopes of saving her life.
Three-year-old Hannah Loew of Crosby suffers from a severe progressive form of epilepsy known as Dravet Syndrome and has between 50 to 100 seizures a day.
Amber Loew, Hannah’s mother, says they’ve tried at least a dozen different prescription medicines, and none have worked. So, they are moving to Colorado to take a chance on medical marijuana.
“I’m in constant contact with parents that have already moved there… and it’s pretty astounding the success stories that we’ve heard,” said Loew to KRLD.
Amber says Hannah won’t be actually smoking the marijuana, but instead will take it orally.
“Hannah actually will take it an oil form, so she will be taking it by mouth or she has a feeding tube so she can take it through a feeding tube,” said Loew.
“The oil that she will take is actually high in CBD, which is a component in marijuana [that has medical effects], and it’s lower in THC, so she will not be getting the high factor that most people associate with marijuana.”
The Loew’s are beginning the moving process to Colorado on Friday. Meanwhile, Dr. Amy Brooks-Kayal, Vice President of the Epilepsy Society, worries that parents like the Loews may be sailing into uncharted waters.
“We do know from basic science studies that marijuana derivatives can completely stop the cellular mechanisms of learning and memory,” said Dr. Brooks-Kayal.
But Amber says her family doesn’t have a choice, as this is literally a life or death decision. She says that most kids diagnosed with the syndrome die in early childhood and rarely live to become adults.
“The thing with Hannah is that her syndrome is catastrophic — so eventually she will die, so we don’t have the time to wait for years and years of studies.”
Hannah’s parents plan to start giving her medical marijuana treatment as soon as they get settled in their new home in Colorado.
You can follow Hannah’s progress on a Facebook page setup by the family.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Fort Worth ISD Building Damaged During ATM Smash & Grab
- Rodney Childers Suspended 1 Race By NASCAR For Loose Lug Nut
- Kennedale Shooting Victims Identified; Officials Allege Murder/Suicide
- Experts Say There’s No Telling How Low Gas Prices Will Go
- President Obama Returns To Convention To Make Case For Clinton
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures