DALLAS (CBS 11 News) – There will never be another number 9 for the Dallas Stars.
On Saturday night, the Dallas Stars honored Mike Modano by retiring his number 9 jersey in a celebration at the American Airlines Center.
The celebration took place before tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild.
Modano was an NHL player for 21 years, with 16 of those years spent in Dallas.
Modano becomes the 4th number in team history to be retired, joining Neal Broten (Number 7), Bill Goldworthy (Number 8) and Bill Masterton (number 19).
Modano joined the Stars organization in 1988 when he was drafted by the Minnesota North Stars in the first round of the NHL Draft.
Modano moved to Dallas in 1993 when the team relocated to Dallas, becoming the Stars. He eventually won a Stanley Cup in Dallas in 1999.
His number 9 was raised to the rafters at the American Airlines Center tonight in a ceremony prior to the Stars game against Minnesota Wild.
The Michigan native holds the record for American-born players in goals and points. He also owns several of the Stars franchise records, and led them to the coveted Stanley Cup in the 1999-2000 season.
He also saw international success at the 2002 Olympics in which Team USA took home Silver.
Modano will stay in Dallas as a consultant for the Stars. The next chapter in his life also involves fatherhood, as he is expecting twins with his wife Alison Micheletti.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers Lose Big Lead And Game To Indians
- Road Rage Victim’s Family: ‘It’s Tough For Us All, But We’ll Make It Through’
- Public May Soon Have Access To 300-Year-Old Forest
- Praise, Criticism Of Supreme Court Decision On Temporary Travel Ban
- Dallas Among Cities Challenging Texas Sanctuary Cities Law In Court
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures