NAVARRO COUNTY, TX (CBSDFW.COM) – The Navarro County Sheriff is investigating the shooting death of a three-year old child.
The sheriff’s office confirms an 8-year-old shot the toddler once in the head with a 20-gauge shotgun.
The shooting happened at a home on SE 3144 in Eureka around noon. Eureka is a rural, isolated community, just south of Corsicana.
Authorities say the two boys are cousins and were playing in a nearby shed. The sheriff said there were adults in the home, but they weren’t with the boys when the youngsters found the shotgun in the portable building.
“We do know there were adults at the location, but not in direct contact with the children at the time the incident occurred. And we believe the weapon was in a location that the children could not access,” said Navarro County Sheriff Elmer Tanner.
Deputies are currently pursuing the investigation as an accidental shooting.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Body Cam Video Shows Officer Use Taser On Handcuffed Suspect
- Local Concert Venues Review Security After Manchester Attack
- North Texas Road Rage Crashes At An All-Time High
- Mobile Library Rolls Out In Dallas
- Keller ISD Says It Didn’t Know About Buses Needing Repair
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures