LONGVIEW (AP) — Five inmates at an East Texas jail have been hospitalized after smoking a synthetic marijuana cigarette that was smuggled into the lockup.
The Gregg County Sheriff’s Office on Monday said four inmates were treated and returned to custody. A fifth inmate spent last Friday night in a Longview hospital before being discharged back to the jail.
Lt. Kirk Haddix says a jailer apparently missed the fake marijuana cigarette when booking an inmate. Haddix said jailers became aware of the problem when one inmate appeared to have seizures.
No jailers have been disciplined as the investigation continues.
Names of the inmates and details on their criminal histories weren’t immediately released.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Plano Leaders On Board For DART Rail Line To DFW Airport
- Church Hostage-Takers Killed After Slitting Throat Of Priest
- General Mills Expands Flour Recall After 4 More Illnesses
- Sanders Urges Fans To Rally Behind Clinton As DNC Heats Up
- History And Hostility As Clinton Ascends To Nomination
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures