Cowboys Make Tough Decisions On NFL Free Agency
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 SPORTS) – The Dallas Cowboys are cutting two of their fan favorites, Demarcus Ware and Miles Austin on the first day of NFL Free agency.
The moves were really no surprise.
Ware was made aware earlier in the off-season, that he had two choices – take a pay cut, or be cut.
The Cowboys owed their franchise sack leader $12.25 million in 2014. Injuries last season limited the 31-year-old to just six sacks, plus he missed three games for the first time in his NFL career.
Jerry Jones met with his defensive star Tuesday. They apparently could not find a middle ground. Ware chose to explore free agency. That frees up $7.4 million in salary cap space to be used in free agency.
Austin has reportedly been designated as a post-June 1 cut. He was also limited by injury in 2013, playing in only 11 games, with 24 catches and no touchdowns. His release equals $5.5 million in cap space to be used later on signing draft picks.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arlington Wal-Mart Employees Join National Boycott Against Unfair Wages
- Cowboys Fan Opt For A Tailgating Thanksgiving
- Inactives: Eagles vs Cowboys
- NFL Listen Live Week 13: Philadelphia Eagles vs Dallas Cowboys
- NFL Preview: Philadelphia Eagles vs Dallas Cowboys
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures