DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — SMU men’s basketball has achieved a lot this season as a team. Now they’re receiving accolades for their individual performances as well.
Sophomores Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy have been selected to All-American Athletic Conference teams.
Moore, who led the Mustangs in scoring (13.9) and assists (4.7), was voted to the First Team. The 5-foot-9 guard was an eight time weekly conference honor roll selectee and recorded six 20-point games in the regular season.
Forward Markus Kennedy, who led the team in rebounding (6.9), blocked shots (1.4) and steals (1.8), was voted to the Second Team. The Pennsylvania native scored in double figures in 14-straight games (Dec. 4-Feb.1), recording five double-doubles in that stretch.
The duo helped the Mustangs win 23 games for the first time since the 1987-88 season and gain its first national ranking since the 1984-85 season.
SMU (23-8, 12-6 American) opens the AAC tournament against Houston (16-15, 8-10) in the quarterfinals on Thursday in Memphis. SMU swept two games against the Cougars.
First Team All-Conference
Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati
Shabazz Napier, UConn
Montrezl Harrell, Louisville
Russ Smith, Louisville
Nic Moore, SMU
Second Team All-Conference
Isaiah Sykes, UCF
Justin Jackson, Cincinnati
TaShawn Thomas, Houston
Shaq Goodwin, Memphis
Joe Jackson, Memphis
Markus Kennedy, SMU
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cowboys Fall At Home To Chargers On Thanksgiving
- What NHL Teams Are Thankful For
- What Each MLB Team Is Thankful For
- What Each NFL Team Is Thankful For
- Report: Cowboys Kicker Dan Bailey Available Against Chargers
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures