‘Jeopardy!’ Champ Chu Unseated After 12-Day Run
NEW YORK (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — “Jeopardy!” champ Arthur Chu, who won big money while taking heat for his renegade style, has been defeated.
Chu finished in third place with zero dollars on Wednesday’s edition of the syndicated quiz show. He had reigned for 12 days. His total winnings were $297,200.
“A great run,” summed up host Alex Trebek.
Chu was unseated by Diana Peloquin of Ann Arbor, Mich., who led for the day with $15,700.
Chu had struggled for much of the show when, in Final Jeopardy, he risked, and lost, his entire day’s bankroll — $6,400 — on the question: “He was the last male monarch who had not previously been Prince of Wales.”
Only Peloquin had the correct response: George VI.
The 30-year-old Chu, a resident of Broadview Heights, Ohio, has described himself on Twitter as “mad genius, comedian, actor and freelance voiceover artist.”
He applied a “mad genius” approach to “Jeopardy!” brinkmanship. He ditched the time-honored practice of polishing off each category’s questions one by one. Instead, he took a hopscotch approach to his category choices, which tended to keep his opponents off-kilter.
He also concluded that the bottom rows of the game board are most likely to contain the hidden Daily Doubles, and he played accordingly.
Chu’s strategy fueled indignation from “Jeopardy!” traditionalists, who contended that such an aggressive style was somehow unsportsmanlike and exhibited a lack of respect for the game.
Chu “rejected the unwritten rule that the guy or gal with the most facts wins,” said “On the Media” host Brooke Gladstone on an episode of the public radio show last month, “and replaced it with the appalling idea that you can outwit your opponent with the wily application of game theory.”
It was a style much different from that of legendary know-it-all Ken Jennings, who a decade ago set a “Jeopardy!” record with 74 consecutive victories while winning $2.5 million.
New episodes of Jeopardy! air at 6 p.m. each weekday on TXA 21.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Plano Officer Arrested For DWI, Evading Arrest
- UT System Extends Benefits To Gay Spouses
- Garland And Dallas Bank Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Donations Needs For Rain Damage Repairs To Texas Theatre
- Businessman Pleads Guilty In John Wiley Price Corruption Case
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures