EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Chris Jones made two free throws to push the game into overtime and won it with two more as No. 10 seed North Texas edged 15th-seeded Rice in the first round of the Conference-USA tournament Tuesday.
Rice led 62-58 with 1:51 left in overtime. Then Brandan Walton hit a 3-pointer on North Texas’ next possession. Rice missed four-straight free throws and Jones made both of his with 11 seconds left. Marcus Jackson missed a shot at the buzzer.
Walton scored 17 for North Texas (16-15) and Jordan Williams added 11 and 14 rebounds.
North Texas closed regulation on a 7-0 run, with a Walton 3-pointer, a Williams layup and two Jones free throws with 23 seconds left. Rice’s Keith Washington missed a game-winning shot.
Rice (7-23) was led by Austin Ramljak with 17 points, Sean Obi’s 12 and Seth Gearhart’s 11.
North Texas will play No. 7 seed Tulane Wednesday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- SMU Stuns No. 11 Houston 38-16
- Stars Shut Out By Blue Jackets 3-0
- Local Developer Brings Old Building Back To Life In Oak Cliff
- Man Injured By Bobcat Is First Case In Plano’s Recorded History
- Fort Worth Police Arrest Man Who Shot At Officers
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures