ARLINGTON (CBS 11 NEWS) – A 21-year-old man was arrested in connection with a fatal robbery that took place at an Arlington shoe store in February.
Police say they could not have made the arrest without help from the public. Investigators received more than 60 tips after surveillance video from the crime was released.
Jacob Everett was arrested and charged with Capital Murder. Police say Everett admitted to being in the store on the day of the fatal robbery. They also said that evidence found in the home where he was staying led them to believe Everett was the “definitive suspect.”
The suspect is believed to be the person who shot and killed Randy Pacheco. The 23-year-old was found dead inside the Red Wing Shoe Store that he had managed for more than a year.
Surveillance video of the crime showed a gold-colored truck leaving the scene. Tips led police to the vehicle and then to the suspect.
An arrest warrant affidavit stated that detectives found a sweatshirt, mask, pair of gloves and a semi-automatic handgun that matched the description of the one used to kill Pacheco.
The affidavit also stated Everett traded in his gold truck, which matched the description of the vehicle leaving the scene, and bought a 4-door, red sedan.
After speaking with Everett on Tuesday night, he was taken into custody and arrested.
What police didn’t get from interviewing the suspect was — why the murder happened.
“We don’t have a motive and it doesn’t make sense,” said Sgt. Jeffrey Houston, public information officer for the Arlington Police Department. “I don’t understand why he did it. I don’t think anyone will unless he says.”
Meanwhile for the family of Randy Pacheco, the arrest is bittersweet.
His mother, Genoveva Pacheco, said she was feeling a range of emotions. Though the arrest brought some closure for her and her family she said nothing will bring her son back.
The grieving mother is now praying her son’s dog, Lola who was in the store when the murder occurred, survives. The dog has been sick since Pacheco was killed.
A jail log shows Everett was booked at 9:17 p.m. on Tuesday night. Bail information was not available on Wednesday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arlington’s Pentatonix To Sing Thursday Night Football Theme
- Schwarber On Cubs’ World Series Roster; Could start At DH
- Bowlsby Disagrees With Iowa State AD’s Synopsis Of Big 12
- Wells Fargo Pushing Ad Campaign Addressing Sales Scandal
- The Amazing TRON Roller Coaster At Shanghai Disneyland
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures