DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Howling winds have been fueling a grass fire in Denton County for more than 24 hours.
Heavy flames were first spotted in Trophy Club yesterday afternoon around 3 p.m. Overnight firefighters stayed put focusing on hotspots and pushing the flames towards Denton Creek.
Wednesday charred grass and smoldering smoke are what’s left of the stubborn grass fire.
Some spots are so hard to get to firefighters have had to walk in to put out hotspots. Dozens of firefighters worked long and hard to put out the fire, but strong winds have only fueled it.
“The intensity of it anything over 25 mph is a big concern for us,” says Russell Behlings with Texas A&M’s Forest Service. “It will make burn a little quicker – make things pick up – kind of throw some embers around and harder for us to catch it if it decides to pick back up again.”
Smoke still lingers across a nearby neighborhood where homes are about a quarter of a mile from the fire.
“I think flames were shooting it had to be 40 feet into the air,” describes Dina Allan, who lives near the fire. “The winds worried me especially that they picked up last night. They didn’t settle that was worry some.”
The fire started burning on the Army Corps of Engineers land near Grapevine Lake.
It’s not clear what sparked it, but already more than a hundred acres have burned so far.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Getting To Polls Difficult For Disabled McKinney Residents
- Safety Concerns Arise After Cyclist Hits Child On White Rock Path
- Mavericks Fall To Indiana In OT On Opening Night 130-121
- 1 Killed In Crash Of Experimental Plane Near Houston
- Texas House Speaker Adds Pressure Over Special Education
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures