IRVING (AP) – The Dallas Cowboys released wide receiver Miles Austin on Wednesday, designating it as a June 1 cut, and signed free agent defensive linemen Terrell McClain and Jeremy Mincey.
By releasing the eight-year veteran, the Cowboys will save about $5.5 million in salary cap space, money they likely will use to sign this year’s draft picks.
Austin joined Dallas as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He was a reserve receiver and a kick return specialist for three seasons, but in 2009 became a regular. He set a Cowboys record with 250 yards receiving in his first start, an NFL record. Austin finished that season with 1,320 yards and made the Pro Bowl.
In 2010, he started all 16 games for the only time in his career and made his second Pro Bowl.
But injuries have plagued him since, and he started only eight times and missed five games in 2013 because of recurring hamstring problems.
Mincey was drafted by New England in the sixth round in 2006, but bounced around before a strong three-year run with Jacksonville from 2010-12. The defensive end was released by the Jaguars late last season, signed with Denver and played in the Super Bowl for the Broncos.
The 30-year-old Mincey has 120 tackles and 20 sacks in 66 career games.
McClain was a backup defensive tackle with Houston last season. The fourth-year player has been in 32 career games with Carolina, New England and the Texans.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Silvers Lifts Troy Over UNT, 50-30, In New Orleans Bowl
- Police: “Criminal Santa” Gets Stuck In Chimney During Burglary Attempt
- Ex-Wife Of Lorenzen Wright Charged With Murder In 2010 Death
- Major Media Players Start Commission For Sexual Misconduct
- Dallas Officer Arrested For Family Violence Assault
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures