SURPRISE (105.3 THE FAN) — Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington joined Ben & Skin from spring training in Surprise on Wednesday.
Wash was asked about former Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler, who recently criticized the team’s chemistry in 2013. Kinsler also voiced his displeasure over being “forced” into a leadership role after Michael Young’s departure.
“There never was a chemistry issue in our clubhouse,” said Washington. “I didn’t realize [Kinsler] didn’t want to be a leader until I heard it like everyone else. Leadership to me is not something you can just thrust upon someone. You have to be born with it. I was born with leadership. When I was 7-years-old, I was a leader. When I got into baseball, nobody had to tell me to lead. They followed because I was going in the right direction. That’s what a leader is.”
When asked who would assume leadership responsibilities in 2014, Washington declined to point out anyone, instead suggesting that leadership comes out naturally.
“I’ve never, in all the years I’ve been here, walked around a clubhouse and said ‘you’re my leader.’ That just happens. I didn’t go to Michel Young and say ‘you’re my leader.’ He just did it. That’s Michael Young’s personality.”
Washington also discussed the current state of the lineup, his new bench coach Tim Bogar, and the next step in the development of Yu Darvish.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- The Apollo 11 Capsule Is Going On Tour
- McKinney Homeowners Organize Opposition To 380 Bypass
- Texas, Trump Administration Seek To Delay Voter ID Hearing
- Grand Prairie Police Arrest Man Suspected Of Hit And Run
- Family Desperate To Find Man Last Seen Two Weeks Ago
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures