Tyron Woodley Steps Up For UFC Co-Main Event In Dallas
Sports Fan Insider
DALLAS, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Tyron Woodley is Dana White’s kind of fighter.
The UFC welterweight contender who takes on Carlos Condit in the co main event at UFC 171 Saturday night at The American Airlines Center has quickly earned the respect of the organization’s president. The reason? Dana White likes guys like Tyron Woodley because they are down to fight anybody at any time.
This past December, when the oft-embattled Nick Diaz turned down a rematch with Condit for the Dallas card, White said that despite Woodley texting him “15 times a day” he would look elsewhere for an opponent. He admired Woodley’s enthusiasm, but felt that he simply wasn’t ranked high enough yet within the division to get booked into what would likely be a #1 contender’s match for a title shot. The texts didn’t stop, however, and White eventually acquiesced to a fight that has UFC fans excited, if not for Woodley’s divisional ranking on paper, then for his willingness to bring fireworks on fight night.
In November, he collected a “knockout of the night” bonus for his demolition of former title challenger Josh Koscheck, and Woodley has wasted no time in telling anyone who will listen that he has every intention of continuing that trajectory right to a shot at the 170 pound division’s title.
Listen to Richard Hunter and Mike Dingess talk to Tyron Woodley about his fight Saturday night with Carlos Condit:
UFC 171 is live on pay per view from The American Airlines Center this Saturday night, and is headlined by Johny Hendricks facing Robbie Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight championship.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Jacksonville Jaguars Place All Of Their Eggs In Basket Of Blake Bortles
- Former DPD Officer Guilty In Beating Of Suspect Jailed
- Rocket Explodes During Test Flight; No Injuries
- Man Indicted For Aiming Laser Pointer At Aircraft
- Officer’s Association Calling For FWPD Chief’s Resignation
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures