NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Conference scoring leader Reger Dowell contributed 18 points in a first round Sun Belt tournament matchup and sixth-seeded Texas-Arlington got past No. 7 seed Louisiana-Monroe 68-65 on Thursday night.
It took Texas-Arlington over 10 minutes of the second half to erase a four-point halftime deficit and take a 52-51 lead on two free throws.
The lead swapped hands down the stretch, but the Mavericks held Louisiana-Monroe to just two points in the final 2:37 to hang on for the win. The Warhawks had their chances but failed on two 3-point tries in the final 14 seconds after the Mavericks missed on a couple free throw opportunities.
Tylor Ongwae —averaging a team-high 16.1 points per game— led the Warhawks with 20 points.
Brandon Edwards muscled 12 rebounds and Anthony Walker grabbed 10 boards and scored 12 points for the Mavericks, who will play third-seeded Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Officer Says Prosecutors Silenced Him In Sandra Bland Case
- Services Held For Texas Father, Son Killed In France Attack
- Appeal Rejected For Man On Death Row For Killing Fort Worth Girl
- Group Holding Silent Protest In Downtown Dallas Tonight
- Grand Prairie Police Undergo Ambush Training
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures