Kidney Recipient Gives Back On His Birthday
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Presents. Cake. Many of us are used to receiving gifts on our birthdays.
Instead, one North Texas child used his big day to give back.
To celebrate his seventh birthday, Timothy Valerius of Maypearl, wanted others to have what he has.
Timothy lives with his father’s kidney as his own, receiving the donated organ at the age of two.
Born with a rare condition, Timothy’s specialist from Medical City Children’s Hospital watched the child endure kidney dialysis, beginning just 72 hours after doctors delivered him.
Now at the age of seven, Timothy is doing well.
“Timothy looks great. If you saw him on a playground or at school, you would not know he went through all these procedures and dialysis and that’s our goal,” said Dr. Albert Quan.
Although Timothy is healthy, his hospital visits are not done. He’s spent so much time at Medical City that he was inspired to help others getting treatment there. After getting his birthday gifts, Timothy, his brothers and friends strolled down the halls of Medical City ready to pass out gifts to others, for one simple reason.
“I love all the nurses and the kids,” Timothy said.
His parents joined him to raise three-thousand dollars to purchase games and iPads so kids sitting in the same hospital, facing similar medical circumstances, could have what he had.
“It just shows me he has a giving heart. He wants to help people out, just like a lot of people helped him out,” said Timothy’s dad, Jason Valerius.
“If I could give this hospital everything I had plus 100, that’s what I’d do,” said mother, Heidi Valerius. “They saved my baby.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 2.6 Mag Earthquake Rattles Irving Wednesday Afternoon
- Sony Pictures Cancels Release Of ‘The Interview’ Amid Terrorist Threats
- Southwest Bag Workers Picketing Over Flight Delays
- Eric Williams Sentenced To Death; Shows No Emotion
- VOTE: What’s Trending Top Topics Of 2014
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures