AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – The South By Southwest festival continued on Friday with the destructive crash that killed two people still fresh on the minds of those attending. The mood around Austin has been somber, particularly near the downtown area where the Thursday crash happened.
Six people remain in the hospital just a few blocks away from the crime scene. One of those victims is still in critical condition.
While music can be heard all throughout downtown Austin, and fans packed the city’s streets, a memorial for the victims continues to grow larger by the hour. Many people are making time to stop and pay their respects to the two people who died and the dozens more who were injured.
“It could have been any one of us,” said Ginny Conrad. “It’s a shame, and it’s really hard to think that these people came down to have a good time and it went so wrong.”
Rashad Owens is the person who police said is responsible for plowing into the group of festival attendees. He is a rapper from Killeen who was in town with friends, hoping to catch a break at South By Southwest. Authorities believe that the 21-year-old man could have been drunk when he tried to flee from officers during a traffic stop.
Owens is now in jail waiting to be formally charged with capital murder and aggravated assault.
“It’s crazy to think that one drunk man could do this to families,” added Kristin Day. “It’s crazy that this has happened at all.”
- Cedar Hill Man Imprisoned In Nebraska For Brutal Beating
- Man Gets Life Sentence In Texas ‘Stand Your Ground’ Retrial
- Man Shot During Armed Robbery In Lewisville
- Rhode Island Tops TCU 66-60 In Cancun Challenge
- Samford Tops North Texas 74-72
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures