AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – Rapper Tyler, the Creator was arrested Saturday for a riot incident that happened on Thursday at the South by Southwest festival in Austin.
Tyler, the Creator, whose real name is Tyler Okonma, was arrested without incident, according to police.
The Class A Misdemeanor charges come after Okonma “encouraged behavior causing an immediate danger and injury to persons,” APD said.
Okonma allegedly encouraged a large crowd who was kept out of a full capacity concert to force themselves past venue employees to get inside.
It happened more than once, police said. Now Okonma’s bond is $25,000.
The arrest affidavit in the case alleged that Okonma yelled to the crowd outside the gates “All y’all outside the gates, y’all push through!”
Initially, police say, the crowd was hesitant to listen to the musician. A second encouragement, “Y’all push through, come on!” enticed the fans enough to stampede through employees blocking the way.
The affidavit also says Okonma began apologizing to the employees, but cursed at them before leaving the stage.
After the crowd dispersed, officers obtained witness statements from multiple people who reported a riot-like situation with trampling and punching.
“Regardless of the size of a crowd, the encouragement of unruly and unlawful behavior is against the law and cannot be tolerated,” the press release from Austin police read.
An Instagram video of Tyler, the Creator encouraging the crowd was attached to the APD press release.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas Trooper Fired, Allegedly Propositioned Driver For Sex
- Trio Wanted For ATM Theft In Dallas
- Fantasy Pickups For Week 13
- DART Train Runs Over, Kills Person In Dallas
- Indicted Texas Attorney General Asks Judge To Toss Charges
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures