Cowboys Visitors: Melton, Allen, Weeden
Cowboys CentralBuy Cowboys Tickets Shop for Cowboys Gear NFL Scoreboard
Sports Fan Insider
IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) - The Cowboys are hoping to be players in free-agent shopping by having avoided setting the retail market in its first week and finding better deals this week in the form of planned Valley Ranch visitors Henry Melton, Jared Allen, Brandon Weeden and possibly others.
Defensive tackle Melton, 27, is a DFW native with a connection to Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, his former boss with the Bears.
Defensive end Allen, who turns 32 next month, has 128.5 career sacks and is as legendary as the player he might replace, Denver-bound DeMarcus Ware.
Weeden, 30, has been less than stellar as a Cleveland QB but played at Oklahoma State with Dallas receiver Dez Bryant and might be among a number of candidates to back up Tony Romo should Kyle Orton retire.
Allen is also reportedly considering retirement unless he gets a lucrative deal. He may be seeking something similar to Ware’s $20-million guarantee in Denver, something the Cowboys have no interest in giving. Melton is seeking a top-of-market deal but may fall short of that due to his knee surgery last season.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- LB McClain Added To List Of Cowboys Inactives VS Rams
- Former Titans Kicker Rob Bironas Killed In Accident
- Cowboys Player Profile: Dez Bryant
- NFL Week 3 Preview: Dallas vs St.Louis
- Would-be Homebuyers Consider Remodeling Instead
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures