Melton Back To DFW, Visits Cowboys On Monday
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
IRVING, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Contrary to reports on Saturday night that had Henry Melton “finalizing a deal’’ while visiting the Seahawks, the prized free-agent defensive tackle has returned to DFW and the Dallas Cowboys remain among his suitors as they plan a visit at Valley Ranch on Monday.
Multiple teams are bidding on Melton, 27, a Pro Bowl talent who is an ideal Dallas fit as a 3-technique tackle playing under his old Chicago mentor, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. The Cowboys have about $7 million in cap room available but could create more should they opt to make financial moves elsewhere on the roster.
Minnesota is among the clubs that has chased Melton, a native of Grapevine and a product of the University of Texas.
If Dallas wins the bidding war, Melton would replace tackle Jason Hatcher. The Cowboys need defensive-line help due to the departure of Hatcher (to the Redskins) and DeMarcus Ware (to the Broncos). The team is also hoping to retain defensive end Anthony Spencer. End Jared Allen is also on Dallas’ wish list should his market dry up but he is reportedly considering retirement if his offers don’t represent the right fit.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Colts At Cowboys Week 16 Live Radio Play by Play
- Super Saturday Tops Black Friday as Biggest Shopping Day
- TCU Improves To 11-0 With 88-57 Win Over UTSA
- Cedar Hill Beats Katy Again For Texas 6A-II Title
- Tips Sought After Waco Meteorologist Shot
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures