Prayer Vigil Held For Young Couple Injured In SXSW Accident
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - The South by Southwest festival has come to an end, but two Fort Worth teens are still recovering from a deadly accident caused by a drunk driver that happened on March 13.
On Sunday night, about two dozen friends of Curtisha Davis, 17, and Dre Tatum, 18, gathered at Green B. Trimble Technical High School in Fort Worth to hold a prayer vigil for the young couple.
The couple was among the victims in a horrific crash at SXSW that left two people dead and almost two dozen injured. The accident, police say, was caused by a drunk driver who plowed through a group of people waiting in line for a concert.
Davis’ best friend Chassity Mclean visited Davis at the hospital Saturday.
Despite Davis’ extensive injuries, Mclean said, she’s making progress in her recovery.
Davis has stitches in her head, in her lip and a broken leg.
“She’s smiling, she’s laughing. She was actually walking yesterday,” Mclean said.
Davis’ boyfriend Tatum, however, remains in a medically induced coma.
Davis is unaware of his condition and has not spoken of the crash, CBS 11 News is told.
Many classmates were overwhelmed with emotion at Sunday night’s vigil as they prayed.
And not only did the gathered group pray for Davis and Tatum..but for the suspect in the crash, who has been charged with capital murder, too.
“God says forgive, so you forgive,” one of the students said. “You can’t forget but you forgive.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Mesquite Police Seek Bank Robbery Suspect
- Deputies Wound Suspect While Serving Warrant In Henderson County
- Possum Kingdom Lake Recovering From Alga
- U.S. Auto Sales Tap The Brakes In March
- Police Say Lotto Win Led To Murder-Suicide
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures