NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – It’s a mystery still baffling investigators nine days later: Where is Malaysia Air flight 370? Authorities are now focusing on the pilot and co-pilot.
Malaysia ranks in the Federal Aviation Adinistration’s highest category for making sure its airlines follow regulations. Malaysia Air is part of the One World alliance with American Airlines, and is said to exceed safety requirements.
But Denny Kelly, a retired airline captain, says the issue of the missing plane could lead to more scrutiny of flight crews. “I think you might see a little more background checks on flight crews. In the U.S. they do that, but foreign carriers yes.”
Malaysian authorities are looking into the backgrounds of all 239 people aboard the plane.
Jim Holden retired from the Transportation Security Administration six years ago, as a federal security director at five airports in the Texas panhandle and west Texas. “It’s a big puzzle,” he said.
According to Holden, the incident raises questions about passenger screening in other countries. “How do you make sure the other countries are adhering to the same standards? It’s hard to do that all the time, because you can’t be there all the time to make sure they don’t miss a step.”
As the investigation continues, the Keller family of one of the passengers, Philip Wood, set up a Facebook page and a Twitter handle with the hope of finding him and the others onboard. His family declined an interview request from CBS 11 on Monday.
But Wood’s girlfriend, Sarah Hamill Bajc, said she isn’t giving up hope either. “My son even helped me pick out which clothes to bring for him, so I have an outfit for him in my backpack.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Grand Prairie Police Investigate Fatal Shooting At Sports Bar
- Scout Leader Remembered As Loving Mother, Generous Volunteer
- Churches Gather To Pray For The City Of Dallas
- Hamels Picks Up 11th Win, Rangers Top Royals 7-4
- Shooting At Texas Apartment Leaves Four Dead
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures