Insurance Agent Mourned After Deadly Grand Canyon Fall
BEDFORD (CBSDFW.COM) – CBS 11 News has learned more about a North Texas man who died after falling off a rim at the Grand Canyon.
John Anderson was an insurance agent from Grapevine.
Employees at Anderson’s insurance office in Bedford were distraught to find out the news.
Stan Horton not only worked next door to Anderson but also was his client for more than two decades. “John always took care of my business just like it was his own,” he said. “ I feel that I’ve lost a friend, not just an insurance agent.”
Officials at Grand Canyon National Park said Anderson was visiting the park with his family Saturday. It was some time around 8 a.m. when he fell some 350 feet from the South Rim near El Tovar Lodge.
Park Rangers located the 53-year-old’s body, but were unable to resuscitate him.
Officials with the National Park Service and Coconino County Medical Examiner are investigating.
Horton said, “I felt like I lost part of my family. I mean, he was just that good a friend. I just know that I share, in my own way, in his co-workers loss and his family. Our prayers go our to them.”
Anderson’s family released a statement that said:
“On behalf of the family of John Anderson, we are deeply touched by the outpouring of support from the local community at John’s unfortunate accident. The family has only in the last few hours had the opportunity to meet together, and we appreciate the interest from the community and local media but request that the privacy of the family be respected. Services are being handled by Bluebonnet Hills Funeral Home and Memorial Park and are planned for this Friday and Saturday, but the details and times are not finalized at this time. The family expects to provide additional details shortly through Bluebonnet Hills. The family does not intend to provide any additional statements or interviews. Thank you for respecting the privacy and wishes of the Anderson family.”
Authorities at the Grand Canyon say Anderson’s death is the first of the year attributed to a fall from the canyon’s edge.
Memorial Services for John Anderson will be held at Bluebonnet Hills Funeral Home on Friday and Saturday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Let Other Fantasy Baseball Owners Take Chances On September Call-Ups
- Rookie Spotlight: Vic Beasley Will Be An Every-Down Player For Atlanta Falcons
- Man Exposes Himself To High School Cheerleader
- Deputy Shot At Houston-Area Gas Station
- Extra Patrols After Man Exposes Himself Near High School
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures