GARLAND (CBSDFW.COM) – There were 10 players in the court in the NCAA tournament featuring Texas and Arizona State Thursday night. In a Garland restaurant, the high school crowd surrounding the TV was only focused on two of them.
They were trying to pick out number 2, and number 44. They aren’t just players they look up to on the college level, but players they looked up to in high school.
Center Prince Ibeh and guard DeMarcus Holland went to the state final four together when they were teammates at Naaman Forest High. Now, they’re trying to get to the NCAA Final Four together as teammates for UT.
Naaman head coach Cole Johnson, who was an assistant when the pair played under him, said his current group is always watching them.
“They tell me DeMarcus stats and Prince’s stats,” he said. “Did you see the game last night coach, did you see the game?
He sent text messages to both Thursday. The bigger stage hasn’t changed the high school kids he knew. They’re just bigger now he said, and better.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Fort Worth Police Officer Gets Special Gift From Quilters
- NASCAR Shakes Up 2018 Schedule
- Playboy Model Who Shot Nude Pic Of Unwitting Woman Due In Court
- Scientists May Now Know How Whales Got So Big
- Jury Deliberates Fate Of FWPD Officer In Wrongful Shooting Case
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures