105.3 THE FAN — Few have the intimate knowledge of the Tampa 2 like Tony Dungy, who partnered with former Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator (and current assistant head coach/defense) Monte Kiffin to make it “famous” in Tampa Bay.
Rod Marinelli has assumed the coordinator position in Dallas in 2014, a change that Dungy believes will have little impact schematically. But that doesn’t mean the Cowboys defense won’t be much improved.
One — players will have an additional year to learn the new scheme, which is important, according to Dungy. But most importantly, the front office will have yet another off-season to identify the right players for their defense.
“In Tampa, we didn’t have immediate success either. We had to grow into it, but by our second year, we got some guys involved in the system and got some players like Ronde Barber who were tailor made for what we did. I think, especially from the scouting and drafting standpoint, they’ll be able to do that a lot better this year.”
One such addition is defensive tackle Henry Melton, who the Cowboys signed to a one-year deal with a club option for three more. Dungy believes that Melton, if healthy, is a critical addition.
“The first thing we talked about, if you remember, is a group that can create pressure on their own without blitzing. Henry melton is a guy who can create pressure. My only concern would be the injury. He knows the system; he knows Rod Marinelli. He is a guy who can play close to the football, who can be distuptive. That’s the number one thing that defense needs.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Buddy Ryan Passes Away, Leaving Legacy As Cowboys Nemesis
- Parsons On Whether He Deserves A Max Contract? ‘Sure Do’
- Legendary NFL Coach Buddy Ryan Dies At Age 82
- Jason Day Pulls Out Of Olympics Over Zika Fears
- Legendary Tennessee Lady Vols Coach Pat Summitt Dies At Age 64
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures