UFC Champ Hendricks: ‘I Would Love To Fight Georges Again’
105.3 THE FAN — UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks joined New School on Thursday morning to discuss his title win over Robbie Lawler in Dallas at UFC 171.
The Oklahoma State graduate won a unanimous decision, though the fight ultimately came down to the fifth and final round.
“Pretty much, fifth round — I knew that I had to win it. The third and fourth round did not go like I wanted them to,” said Hendricks. “I thought that the fight might have been over before then. Certain circumstances happened, and I wasn’t able to close on the deal. He caught me with a punch…it was a very good punch. I had to play catch up.”
Hendricks says he fought with a torn biceps, an injury that nearly cancelled the fight. The injury also impacted his ability to get Lawler on the ground.
A number of fighters want a shot at the title, but Hendricks is turning his attention back towards a familiar foe — the recently retired Georges St-Pierre.
St Pierre defeated Hendricks at UFC 167 in November in a controversial decision.
“I’d love to get back in there. I tried to keep it in the back of my mind because I knew I had to beat Robbie Lawler. I really want to fight George. I would love to fight George again. I think the outcome is going to be totally different the second time. I’m getting stronger — you can tell.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- New Laws Take Effect In Texas
- Romo’s Eye Issue Pops Up Again, But Concern Doesn’t
- Briles Says Baylor Not Distracted By Investigation
- Padres Shut Down Rangers In 7-0 Loss
- Dallas Shooting Unfolds In Front Of Toddler
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures