KELLER (CBSDFW.COM) – The family of the North Texas man who was on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, says the latest announcement about the missing plane brings them some comfort, though they still have a lot of unanswered questions.
New satellite information has led investigators to determine the plane crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
It was difficult news for the families of passengers to hear, after more than two weeks of searching and still no confirmed wreckage from the plane.
Upon hearing the news, family members erupted into screams and cries and some were even taken away on stretchers.
American and North Texas native Philip Wood was on the flight.
Philip’s younger brother, Tom Wood, tells CBS 11 that the family will not travel overseas and is instead planning a local memorial to remember Philip.
“It’s a quiet sadness,” said Tom Wood, who has waited for 17 days for answers about his brother’s whereabouts.
“We’ve been…praying for some answers. This is not the answer we wanted, but it’s an answer,” he said. “We are still at peace with…with God helping us.”
The Malaysian government now says it is convinced Flight 370 crashed into the southern Indian Ocean off Australia.
“It does help to know that we know something. We know the plane went down and we want to know more.”
After Wood’s plane disappeared, the family set up a Facebook page titled, “Finding Philip Wood,” which they continue to update and has been flooded with support.
The latest post reads: “Our collective hearts are hurting now. Please lift all the loved ones of MH370 with your good thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your continued support and for being our inspiration.”
Wood’s family says if there was any good that came out of this tragedy, it’s the kindness of people — even strangers — during such a tough time.
The family says they hope the plane’s black box is recovered so that they can learn more about what happened during the flight’s final minutes.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Coppell High School’s Solomon Thomas Heads To NFL Draft
- The 90s Called, Topshop Answered With Clear Jeans
- Armed Man With Mask Arrested For Making Threats To Police
- Anthony Joshua: ‘Wladimir Klitschko Is Underrated’
- Pirates Rookie Ngoepe 1st African Player To Reach Majors
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures