Fans Should Expect Tight Security For Final Four Concerts
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - The eyes of the college basketball world will be on North Texas in less than two weeks when Arlington hosts the men’s NCAA Final Four tournament games at AT&T Stadium.
The City of Dallas is also planning to entertain and keep thousands of basketball fans safe over Final Four weekend.
Huge crowds are expected for a three-day free outdoor concert series headlined by Bruce Springsteen. An anticipated 40-50 thousand people are expected to attend each night’s event, which is quadruple the attendance of the New Year’s Eve Victory Park party.
Officials acknowledge violence and terror at last year’s Boston Marathon played a part in Dallas’ Final Four security preps.
“There are concerns obviously ever since Boston, where everyone is aware of these type of issues. There will be bag checks and there will be prohibited items, which are identified….that people will be informed of not to show up (with) and if they and if they do show up with them, they will be turned away and asked to put the stuff up before they make entry,” said Dallas Police Assistant Chief Mike Genovesi.
Crews are already constructing stages for the concerts. Police and DART authorities are urging people to use light rail because of the daily expected crowd size. The free concerts, that also include Tim McGraw and Jason Aldean will be fenced off, with attendance limits.
“You’re going to be going into a fenced area, with fixed entry points where there will be bag searches, wanding, and a whole security force to ensure our customers are safe,” said Final Four spokesperson Tony Fay.
Police say command posts, specialized patrols and traffic units will handle final four events in the same manner as previous large scale shows.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Halliburton Reaches $1.1B Gulf Oil Spill Settlement
- Updated UT License Plates Now On Sale
- Is Receiving ‘Credit’ Important To Jerry Jones?
- Jerry Expects To See ‘Improved’ Romo Against 49ers
- Netflix Debuts New Selective Sharing Feature For Recommendations
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures